Sunday, March 22, 2009





MUSINGS FROM JOAN #4


My grandson, the lawyer, sent me an incredibly thoughtful, extremely insightful overview on the state of my stock portfolio the other day. I haven’t a clue what he was talking about. . . .he lost me right after Dear Jo. . . .but I was definitely impressed at the depth of his financial knowledge and grateful that in the end, he approved of my diversification..

What I really want to know is, when did the little towheaded boy who used to hold my hand when we went looking for shells in the sand at our beach house, turn into this 30 year old maven of mutual funds? When did this role reversal take place? Obviously, while I wasn’t looking. Because there is no doubt these days that he is a helluva lot more knowledgeable about stocks, bonds, and the market in general, then I will ever be.

I have learned how to text message on my cell phone for only one reason. If I want a quick reply from my grandson, I know I can always get one that way. He rarely answers his cell phone during the business day, and e-mail may wait till the evening, but a short text message does it every time. Not another soul in my circle of friends even knows how to text, much less sends me a message. Not even my daughter. . .who sports one of those annoying Blackberrys that is constantly making strange sounds. . . does text messaging on a regular basis. I think she was forced to start when she found out I was doing it..

Yes, we are truly living in an electronic age. My grandson’s wife is a 2nd grade school teacher in Jacksonville. She teaches a “gifted class” and her students are amazing. I know every one of them by name as well as who is good at what, although I have never met them in person. How do I know? Because Amy regularly blogs about her class to the students’ parents, who keep up on what’s going on with videos and still photos of the kids at work as well as postings of their actual writings and projects. Incredible! If you still have a vision of 2nd grade teachers as little old ladies in sensible shoes, forget about it. Believe me, you never had a teacher as good looking and creative as Amy. It’s no wonder her kids love her.

I am the first to admit that I am not your average grandmother. I don’t bake. I don’t roast. As a matter of fact, I actually don’t cook. A friend of mine once presented me with a pillow for my den couch that reads "All I Make for Dinner is a Reservation". That sort of sums it up. Years ago, I used to try, but in all honesty, I was never very good at it. My excuse was always that I was a business woman and busy being a wife and mother. Something had to give. In my case, it was cooking. As a matter of fact, as a teen-ager, my daughter rebelled against her mother, as most teenagers did, by doing something most teen-agers didn’t. She became a gourmet cook.

When my grandson was in his teens I asked him once if it bothered him that his grandmother didn’t bake cookies. His answer: “Hell no. You have great seats for the Dolphin games, the Heat games and the Panther games. I can buy cookies.”

So much for Martha Stewart in our family. A good sports event will win out every time.

1 comment:

  1. After I told my friend Chek (a longtime financial wizard) about my somewhat recent obsessive nature to all things financial he welcomed me into what he likes to call...the "informed" people. He says it is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing of understanding what is going on....and the curse of.....understanding what is going on.

    And yes, I will always continue to answer those texts. I figure if my grandmother can figure out how to text, the least I can do is respond.

    Love,

    Your favorite grandson

    ReplyDelete