Saturday, April 4, 2009






MUSINGS FROM JOAN #8

I am fascinated by the women in my painting class. I am the rank amateur in the class, not by choice, but by dint of the fact that I am attending the “advance” class that meets on Thursday mornings, rather than the “beginner’s” class that meets on Monday mornings.

Why, you ask, don’t I go on Mondays? Because, in my new semi-retired life, I am committed to volunteering at Fairchild Tropical Gardens on Mondays. And besides, I really prefer being with these amazingly talented women, instead of a bunch of klutzes like myself. Although we are all designated as “seniors” in order to attend any OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) classes at the University of Miami, my painting mates range from a 50 year old French woman with a marvelous accent who loves to paint horses, to a truly elderly white haired woman who is accompanied by her aide, a lovely black woman, who also spends the morning painting. This frail little lady is an incredible portrait artist, and obviously has been painting for many years. I would say she is in her late 80’s, but if it turns out I am actually older than her, I may have to kill her.

Because it is an advanced class, everyone does their own thing, under the watchful eye of our instructor, Daphne Baruch. Daphne is an award-winning artist in her own right. She can look at your painting, pick up your brush, make a few quick strokes, and suddenly everything comes into perspective. Amazing!

When I say I am a rank amateur, I’m not being self effacing. The last time I attended an art class was in 1951. I was pregnant with my daughter Andrea and the smell of the oil paints made me nauseous so I had to quit. It was no great loss because I don’t remember being terribly talented at the time. The only other time I can remember taking brush in hand was when my ex-husband and I painted the walls of our little rental house in North Miami, shortly after coming to South Florida in 1957. That time it wasn’t because we were so artistic, but rather because we were very short of cash.

Anyway, back to my classmates. I have decided that much can be learned about people’s personalities by the way they paint and what subject they choose to paint. My friend Jackie does beautiful flowers and can spend the whole morning working painstakingly on the color values of a few petals. The woman who sits across the table from us is painting a picture of a very elegant gate. Actually, she hasn’t started painting it yet, she is still making a very detailed sketch from which, I gather, she will eventually work.

I, on the other hand, have come to realize that I paint like I live my life. . . .fast. I have a tendency to do everything in a hurry, and that includes painting. I walk fast. I write fast. I sketch fast. I love blending colors and making broad strokes, and I end up with paint all over my clothes, My Mother painted exquisitely detailed, Grandma Moses-style primitive paintings. I have new admiration for her skill. I know I will never have the patience to work with such intensity, but I sure am having fun.

I don’t think the galleries will be vying for my paintings in the near future, but since I get to say what photo goes on my blog, I have taken the liberty of posting my latest artistic effort. It has no name and is “my version” of a picture that Daphne gave me to work from. It’s a landscape of sorts, but it’s really all about color. I can't decide whether I did a great job or it looks like it was done by a five year old. Your call.

The bidding starts at fifty cents. Do I hear seventy five?????

6 comments:

  1. Looking at this painting I kinda feel like I'm back in my early twenties and on some hallucinogenic drug. With that said, some of the greatest artists made people feel that way...Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali. I'll give you 95 cents and not a penny more.

    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly cubism and dadaism gone bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget the photo. Adam...I'd like to hear more about the hallucinogenic drugs in your twenties!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HALLUCINOGENES? DID I HEAR HALLUCINOGENES?

    JOAN YOU ARE REALLY GOOD. GREAT PICTURE, LOVE THE COLORS. REMINDS ME OF A HAITIAN ARTIST I ONCE SAW.
    KEEP UP THE FUN, GOOD WORK AND THIS BLOG!

    BARBARA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo, it's wonderful......can you paint me the Bruins Logo next? Followed by the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics??? - the patriots one is easy, just paint elvis and put a colonial hat on his head - - thanks - I'll bid big bucks for those!!!

    ReplyDelete