Tuesday, July 21, 2009







MUSINGS BY JOAN #23


My cell phone bill arrived the other day, and according to Sprint, I’ve been indulging in an inordinate amount of something called Casual Data Usage. For a moment I thought (hoped?) this might be akin to Casual Sex, but while my memory isn’t always so terrific these days, I am quite sure I would have remembered that.

I checked last month’s bill and apparently I wasn’t dabbling indiscriminately in this Casual business during that period. In fact, as far as I can tell from all my cell phone bills, I was definitely into something new and different between June 15th & July 15th. Intrigued by the possibilities, I decided to visit my local Sprint office in Coral Gables.

First I must tell you that my latest phone is a snazzy little silver and black Katanya model by Sanyo (see photo) that supposedly does everything but cook breakfast. Most of it is wasted on me as I use it primarily to make and answer phone calls and check the time, with an occasional text message to or from my grandson Adam. I am aware that I can find out what movie is playing in town, check on the state of the next hurricane, play a whole range of electronic games, and upload music. None of which I actually know how to do or have any real interest in doing..

But I do on occasion use the camera in the phone, and lest you think I am truly technologically challenged, I am proud to say that I took the lovely photo of my cat, Wasabi, that serves as the screen saver on my phone. My apologies that it doesn't show up in the photo.

I once actually forwarded a phone photo to someone’s computer, and I remember the occasion well, because I had no idea how to do it and had to have outside help.

Andrea, Adam and I were in California for Poppy Artie’s memorial service. Arthur Mogull, Andrea’s biological father and Adam’s grandfather, had a legendary career in the music business, and a number of very famous people attended the service which was held in a large theatre. I preface this by saying that my grandson has spent a lifetime frowning in annoyance as his grandmother, with her ever present camera, insists on capturing. as he likes to put it, every second of his life. That day I didn’t have my camera with me, but I did have my cell phone.

When Adam was introduced to Olivia Newton John, who reportedly owed her discovery to his grandfather, she reached over to give him a hug. My grandson, the photo hater, turned around and hissed in my ear: “Jo, take my picture. . .quick! Don't forget to focus.” I whipped out my cell phone and memorialized the moment, much to his delight. He quickly forwarded it to his e-mail and all his friends, and I still don't have a clue how he did it.

I tell you that story because those of you who regularly read my blog know that I recently attended the Mango Festival at Fairchild Gardens. I didn’t have my camera with me, but I was so impressed with the Mango Auction that I used my cell phone to take a whole series of photos of the auction action. Back home I spent the better part of two hours, unsuccessfully trying to transfer the photos on to my computer, finally giving up and going with a photo of the official festival poster that I swiped off the internet.

Fast forward to my visit to the Sprint office. You guessed it. Casual Data Usage is not as exotic as I imagined. Actually, it's damned expensive. While my uploading efforts were ineffectual, the Sprint time clock was running big time. Apparently my plan doesn’t call for unlimited internet use like most kids take for granted these days. The nice young man took pity on me and offered to have the exorbitant charge removed from my bill. I had a sinking feeling he did it because I reminded him of his grandmother, but I was glad to get the credit.

Just for the hell of it, I asked him what I was doing so wrong. It turns out I was one click away from success, folks. Just one small click away. I may have to try again one of these days. Just as soon as the economy improves.

# # #










Photo Caption: My cell phone. . the cause of it all!

1 comment:

  1. I must explain. The reason I wanted to take a pic was to prove to Amy that she was there since Grease is one of her family's favorite movies. The fact that Olivia was still smokin hot didn't hurt the situation.

    -Ad

    ReplyDelete