Wednesday, August 26, 2009


MUSINGS BY JOAN #28

My significant other is a man of many talents. I’ve written about his culinary artistry at our nightly dinner table and the long term benefits I enjoy from his penchant for shopping regularly at Costco. Forget about the fact that he is tall, handsome and charming and there is a waiting list of lustful women here at Grove Isle just ready to pounce if ever I should falter. (Not to worry, I will beat them off with my ski poles if they get too close. I’m small, but it’s not a good idea to cross me on matters of the heart.)

But there is a whole side to this man that only his daughter Paula and I know about. . .the side that comes equipped with an awesome box of tools and can fix absolutely anything you need fixed, thereby defying the myth that Jewish men are all thumbs..

Sunday was fix-it day in Apartment 705. My cats, Wasabi and Ginger, have once again managed to loosen the Berber carpeting that covers the two free standing walls that lead from my living room into my kitchen. In the past we have slathered adhesive innumerable times to the back of the carpeting, but W & G are not to be denied. This time, Dr. Fix It arrived with an intimidating new weapon. . .a glue gun. I don’t want to bore you with the details, but those little mothers are stuck for eternity now. What a display of sheer power! I watched in awe.

Then, as long as he was on a roll, I mentioned that the handle to my broiler oven had come apart. (My sister was unkind enough to express surprise that I actually ever used the appliance enough to break the handle.) He fixed that with the aid of a pair of my tweezers and the phillips head screwdriver from my handy Leatherman set. Why, you ask, do I happen to own my own Leatherman? It was a thoughtful gift from Benard during the early years of our relationship before he realized I prefer jewelry. Prior to the airlines getting crazy about such weaponry, I used to carry it with me when I traveled, in case I was suddenly faced with the need to unscrew something.

I didn’t want to push my luck, so I only tentatively mentioned in passing that the knob on one of the kitchen cabinets was loose. He tightened that with a butter knife and went on his way.

I think my karma must be very positive when it comes to men who can fix things. I am the daughter of a man who was happiest making exquisite Early American-style furniture and kept every appliance in my Mother’s home in perfect working condition. And in all fairness, while my first husband would have simply looked confused if I told him something broke, my second husband was really very handy when he chose to be.

I know you are all green with envy and I don’t blame you. However, I don’t want you to think I don’t hold up my end of the relationship. Who do you think understands how to select and order this week’s Netflix? Who leaps in to help when there’s a problem on the internet? Who sees to it that we actually have a social life and don’t become total weekend hermits? Most importantly, who makes him laugh and who. . . .well, that’s more information than you need.
# # #
Caption: Mama’s Handy Dandy Leatherman. . everyone should own one.





1 comment:

  1. Don't sell yourself short (no pun intended). You may not be able to fix anything but I've seen you put together plenty of things. You can put together.....a vacation agenda....a party....or a dinner order....with the best of them.

    -Ad

    ReplyDelete