Friday, January 8, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Out There. . .




Call me a wimp, but I got out my ski underwear and my wooly gloves yesterday. The thermometer on my balcony said 40 degrees, with a wind chill of god-knows what, at 7:30am as I got ready to go out for my morning walk. I've been living in South Florida since 1957. I may not sound like one, (apparently New York is forever in my vocal cords), but I'm a southerner in my bones, and man, it is cold out there.

You gotta love Floridians when the temperature drops below 70 degrees. Even the dogs are sporting sweaters. Last night I got into the elevator to go to my apartment with a woman holding a chihuawa wearing an elegant pink and white striped turtleneck. I commented on the sweater and the woman, in all seriousness, asked if I'd like to see her hat. She then proceeded to proudly plop a matching wool cap, topped by a large pink pompom, on its little head. I just wished I had my camera.

I spent years skiing all over the world and never minded the cold. Apparently my brain accepted the fact that skiing and cold go together along with three layers of clothing and hot chocolate, or better still, hot toddy at apres ski. But here in South Florida, it's a different story. I can't complain to my daughter because the weather's in the teens in Charlotte where she lives, and they are expecting snow, so she isn't exactly sympathetic.

According to the weatherman on TV this morning, it's going to get worse before it gets better. This weekend we'll be dipping down into the low 30's. I may have to add a fourth layer or possibly dig out my goggles and ski mask for Saturday morning's walk. I feel sorry for the events people putting on "Taste of The Grove" this weekend. It's a very popular annual outdoor event in the parks and streets of Coconut Grove. Not exactly picnic weather, I'm afraid.

Any one for a frozen paella or a Cuban coffee popsicle????
# # # #
Photo caption: Ginger, ready for the cold weather.
By the way, my faithful bloggers, we didn't win the Ultra Pet "Pet of the Month" contest, despite all your much appreciated votes. We were beaten out by a very worthwhile competitor . .Jasper, aka Tiny Tim. . .a three-legged rescue cat. Wasabi and Ginger, in a show of good sportsmanship, sent Jasper their congratulations. Ginger is still not too happy about losing. . .she gave the Ultra Pearls in her litter box an extra hard kick when she heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment