Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reaching for the stars .. .







I just returned from spending the morning trying to make myself useful at the Wednesday morning session for vision impaired children, really babies, from 2 to 4 years old, at the Miami Lighthouse for the Blind. I am humbled by the courage of the Mothers that accompany these children, many with profoundly damaging birth defects, and awed by the loving care provided by the professionals who run the program and also visit the children in their homes.

Each session has a theme and today it was Stars. (Last week we did bubbles.) We begin by sitting on the floor in a circle on a colorful rug and sing "Good Morning" to each of the children and the adults and clap hands. I probably have the worst singing voice in the world, but I sing along and introduce my self when my turn comes. Today we also sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, and passed around a velvety soft stuffed star that the kids can hold and smell. Touching, smelling and tasting supply stimulation when there is no vision, and are a big part of our morning program. Some of the children have very low vision so bright colors and moving lights provide visual stimulation, and the room is full of toys and items especially selected for their ability to create a response.

While Isabella and Krizia are the truly inspiring professionals who really run the program, I learned today that Yaneth, whom I thought was also a pro because of the wonderful way she has with the children, is actually a senior at the University of Miami and the president of her sorority, Delta Gamma. She has made the Miami Lighthouse her sorority's personal project and the members raise money and volunteer on a regular basis. I'm impressed, guys.

As for me, I am getting to know the children. . .beautiful little Crystal Marie who was never supposed to survive infancy. . .sweet Allisio. .we all applaud and murmer "Good job" when he responds with a tiny hint of a smile and a widening of his eyes to a moving light. . . .active little Dino with his brand new eye glasses, the ones with the neon yellow rims, firmly affixed to his head. . .first time visitor, Alexa, who loved sprinkling colored sugar on bread stars. Isabella explained that they are working to get her ready to enter regular school even though she is legally blind.

The Miami Lighthouse today, under the direction of my friend and neighbor, Virginia Jacko, is the most amazing place. I am fascinated with the technology that abounds in every room of this bright and airy building. . .braille typewriters, computers that speak back to the user, a professionally equipped recording studio and a marvelous crafts workshop. In the summer, they run a kids camp that this year went kayaking for the first time.

If you can use a little inspiration, I recommend Wednesday morning at the Miami Lighthouse. You can join me in singing "Good morning to you". We could use some good voices, not to mention helping hands. # # #

Caption: Yaneth & Kristin help Alexa decorate her stars with colored sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment