Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Something to think about. . . .





A few years ago, the sportswriter and author, Mitch Albom, wrote a book titled "One More Day". The book's theme posits "If you had the opportunity to spend one more day with a lost loved one, who would you choose?"

That thought comes to mind every time I return from my Wednesday morning art class. I never fail to wish I could have one more conversation with my Mother.

Mother took up painting at age 70 and turned out to be an extremely talented artist. We all thought it was remarkable for her to start something new "at such an advanced age". That makes me smile since I've been painting for less than two years and obviously started a good bit older. 70 is just a little kid from my vantage point.

But back to the conversation I would give anything to have with her. Although everyone in the family was happy to snatch up her paintings the minute she finished one.. .I have two hanging in my home, my sister Fran has several more. . .none of us ever took the time to ask her about her art, how and why she chose her specific genre, how she developed her technique and how she got so good with so little instruction.

Mother's paintings are all fairly large and highly detailed. I paint with broad strokes because I'm always in a hurry. (Take a look at the two paintings I've posted. . pretty easy to see who did what, isn't it?)

That's another thing I'd like to ask her about . . .how did she manage to paint such minute details and did she enjoy doing it. I've tried, but I just don't have the patience, or I guess, the talent. I tend to start and finish a painting in one session, although I am trying to learn to slow down. I realize now that hers must have taken weeks to complete. In retrospect, I am appalled at how little I really knew about this woman I called Mother.

I guess the point of this blog is that we don't always take the opportunity to have conversations with people we love before it's too late. I'm pretty sure each of you would like "one more day" with someone who was important in your life.

Think about it.
# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment