Saturday, January 19, 2013

Thoughts on Monday night's Inaugural Ball

I was ruminating today on how many presidential inaugurations I haven't been invited to, including the one being held this Monday for President Obama.

It's not fair to count the administrations of Herbert Hoover, FDR and Harry Truman, because I wasn't old enough to vote during their years in office, possibly because voting  age was pegged at 21 in those days.  I was already married and a new mother in 1952 when I registered my first presidential vote for Adlai Stevenson.  I thought he was simply wonderful but the country preferred Eisenhower.  So much for an invite to that party.

I definitely voted for JFK in 1960. . .see the accompanying photo of the pin I wore proudly that year.  Would you believe it was still in my jewelry box???  Sorry, no invitation from Jack and Jackie, nor one a few years later from Lyndon and Lady Bird. 

Forget about Nixon. . although we used to get glimpses of him with his pal Bebe Reboso at their favorite restaurant on Key Biscayne.  Obviously, I made no impression and the party went on without me.   Not sure whether Gerald Ford actually had an inauguration.  Pretty sure I wasn't on the list for Ronnie and Nancy's glamourous soiree. .ditto for Jimmy Carter's Peanut Party or Bush the 41st' Texas style shindig..  No great loss there.

I was a little put out about Bill and Hillary not noticing my vote, but then again, I'm from Florida and Lord only knows who the State went for that year. . they are probably still counting.  As for George the 43rd, I think he knew Dan Quayle reaIly turned me off, so I can understand why I didn't make the list.

That brings us to Barack's first term four years ago.  I had a really great dress to wear, it was the one I bought for my grandson's wedding.  The good news:  I can still fit into it, but apparently it's not getting an outing this year either.  In all fairness, the Democratic Party did have a lottery for a ticket to the ball, but since I neglected to enter, I guess I couldn't expect to win.

So much for practicing my Gangnam Style dancing.  I guess I'll just sit in bed and watch on television, like the rest of the masses.
#  #  #

No comments:

Post a Comment