Thursday, March 28, 2013

Some things never change. . .

I was cleaning out a little used drawer in my den today when I found a plastic bag stuffed with memorabilia from a different time and different place.  1989 to be exact. Oddly enough, my sentiments haven't changed, even though I' m 24 years older.

Just this morning I read in the Miami Herald that North Dakota signed the nation's strictest abortion limits into law.  Roe v. Wade was decided in the Supreme Court in 1973, but they never give up on efforts to take away a women's right to choose, do they.

In the foreground of the photo below you can see a small square pin outlined in red that reads "March for Women's Equality And Women's Lives" - April 9, 1989 - Washington, D.C.

I remember it like it was yesterday.  The bus ride to the airport. The plane trip to Dulles Airport. Assembling, literally hundreds of thousands of women from all around the nation, in front of the Washington Monument, wearing pins that read "In My Heart I'm Marching For Choice", "Never Again! (with a wire hanger in the background), "Keep Abortion Legal", and in my group, "South Florida For Choice"..

We marched to the White House where we chanted "Free Barbara Bush! Free Barbara Bush!"  It was well known that she was not in agreement with her husband, President George Walker Bush's stand on women's rights.  We swept up Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol.  It was an amazing moment in history and I was very proud to be there.

How sad that we are fighting that same battle in our country again today.  Abortion has become a political tool for the far right.  It never fails to amaze me that these "true believers" are willing to kill a living person to "save" a fetus. 

Some things never do change.  How very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment