Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Six degrees of separation. . .

I've never been to the Academy Awards and doubt that I will ever get there, but it's fun to know that someone close to your family was not only there on Sunday night but actually played a part in the winning of one of the Oscars!

That's my "surrogate son-in-law", Jon Ostrin, holding John Legend's "Oscar", just won as "Best Original Song" for Legend's and Common's incredibly moving song, "Glory".  Jon is the husband of daughter Andrea's half sister (and my "surrogate daughter")  Allison, and works as Legend's personal
sound engineer.  So he was backstage overseeing the sound system as Legend ad Common brought the audience to its feet with their stirring rendition of the song they wrote for the movie "Selma" about that historic march.

Jon has traveled the world with JL, as he calls him, this past year.  He was on the bridge with him in Selma, they've been all over Europe, been to Australia and Korea.  I know, because I play "Words With Friends" with Jon on a regular basis and every once in a while I will text him and say "Where are you, Jon?"  iPhones don't differentiate about continents.  We take turns winning and losing, whether he's in Korea or back in the USA.

Jon posted this photo on his Facebook page with the caption, "I've got the best gig!".    Sure looks like it, Jon.


No comments:

Post a Comment