Sunday, April 26, 2015

Some thoughts about tattoos. .. .

I've never been a big believer in tattoos, but I think I've changed my mind.  I can't explain it better than what my grandson Adam posted on his Facebook page the other day, so I think I will just reprint his words here. 

"I've always loved tattoos but never had anything that I was passionate enough about to make permanent on my body. Then 4 years ago (his bday is tomorrow) Grayson changed our lives. So yesterday, at 36 years old, I got my first tattoo. Yes, that is his actual silhouette. I'm looking forward to explaining to random people the meaning behind the tattoo. DIFFERENT...NOT LESS!!!"
Adam's son, and my beautiful great-grandson Grayson, is autistic.  We have all learned so much about autism in the four short years that he has been with us.  One important moment of understanding about this puzzling situation came when Adam had us all read a book titled "The Reason I Jump" by a 14 year old autistic Japanese boy. That book allowed us to have insight into the very different world that our little boy was experiencing at times.  And if you have ever heard of Temple Grandin, or seen the documentary about her, you will recognize her very important description of people like her who live with autism, ,. "Different. . Not Less". . the words that Adam has added to the design of his tattoo.

I urge you to remember those words, because they are a true description of the person of any age on the autistic spectrum.  The puzzle pieces are also symbolic of autism and the color blue has come be associated with it as well.  A few weeks ago I posted a photo of myself wearing blue to celebrate "Light it up Blue for Autism" week. 

So here is the exciting news I am so happy to share with everyone. So far, Grayson is non-verbal. His Mom, Amy, and his Dad, Adam, have been working along with the wonderful teachers at the school he goes to, to hopefully help him to begin to talk.  Wednesday was G's 4th birthday and he gave all of us an incredible present. (The tears are starting to flow.)

 He spoke his first word!

#   #   #





No comments:

Post a Comment