Wednesday, June 17, 2009




MUSINGS BY JOAN #18

I don’t consider myself a shoe freak, but I have to admit I have trouble passing up a DSW store. (For the uninitiated, that stands for Discount Shoe Warehouse). I mention this because yesterday I returned home with a really wonderful pair of silvery metallic sandals only to be faced with the fact that I already own two perfectly fine pairs in the exact same color.

My rationale for this lack of fiscal discipline is thus: three pairs of shoes from DSW are equal pricewise (or possibly less) to one pair from Sak’s. Now if you are talking Jimmy Choo’s or Manolo’s, I am way ahead of the game financially. I think you have to be a woman to understand this line of thinking..

What really bothered me about the new pair of sandals was the fact that I was wearing one of my other pairs when I bought the new ones. I don’t want you to think that I am totally dimwitted and never noticed the resemblance. I did. But the pair I was wearing have their own odd story.

I am very fond of this pair. They are very comfortable and very Italian, with a nice wedge heel. I owned them for a full six months and was wearing them one day when someone said to me, “Joan, do you know you are wearing two different color shoes?”

My reply was,”You’re crazy. What makes you say that?”
Her answer was succinct. “Because one is silver and the other is bronze.”

As soon as possible, I removed both shoes, and I’ll be damned, they were two different colors. (See photo above!) I found it hard to believe that I had never noticed because I wear these shoes quite often. They go so well with everything.

With this incredible discovery, I sat ruminating about my sudden color blindness when I suddenly noticed that on the sole of each shoe, right below the words “Made in Italy”, was imprinted the shoe size in easily readable lettering. Just for the record, I wear a 6 ½ Medium. Clearly printed in black on the sole of the right shoe was the number 6. “Hmm,” I thought. “That’s odd.”

Now I turned to the left shoe. . . I swear I am not making this up. . . imprinted in silver, bright and shiny, was the number 7.

How did I get out of the store with two different color shoes in two different sizes and nobody noticed, most notably me? I wanted to blame it on the salesperson. If I was in such a daze, where was she/he? I considered trying to return them and ask for one matching pair, whichever color or size they could come up with. But I had been wearing them for six months and decided it was best to just go on ignoring the situation. (Is it any wonder my family calls me the Queen of Denial?)

So here I am. with three sets of matte silver (and one single bronze) metallic shoes. . .actually four, if you count the pair of pumps with 3” heels that are also in the same color. But, since they are closed toe, I’m willing to feel they don’t really count. As they like to say in the fashion magazines, silver is the new black, at least in my closet.

Should I, or should I not, return yesterday’s pair? To be or not to be, that is the question.

Me and Hamlet, we have a dilemma.

# # #

Photo caption: The un-alike pair of metallic sandals. Pick a color!




..

1 comment:

  1. hey joan, thanyou for sending this to my new e mail. actually if you click on your followers you can get my nieces blog her name is lidia barbon love louis.....

    ReplyDelete