Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A fashionable tale. . . .


Go ahead and laugh. I just bought myself a pair of "jeggings". At Costco, no less. For you non-fashionistas, jeggings are the new hot clothing item, a cross between jeans and leggings. Worn best with knee high boots, but of course.

OK, so most 81 year olds aren't wearing knee high boots, much less jeggings, but on sale for $15.95, by Gloria Vanderbilt you should excuse me,who could resist??? It just so happens that I realized recently I actually own a pair of knee high black suede boots, left over from my apres ski past life, I guess. I tried tucking a regular pair of black boot leg jeans into them but ended up looking more knobby than usual, so the knee boots went back in their box.

Then fate intervened!

The significant other and I were perusing the aisles at Costco yesterday when it was necessary to cross over from paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, coffee filters) to the produce department (fresh fish, lamb chops, strip steaks). To do this we were forced to cross through the area reserved for odds and ends of clothes. . if you are a Costco aficionado, you know the drill. When I hesitated before a pile of black jeans, Benard made the mistake of asking me what jeggings were, and that's all she wrote. I dithered for a few minutes longer and finally threw a Size 8-Short (at 4'11" you thought I buy Longs?) into the basket. The deed was done.

Honestly, they're not bad. . .and with the weather this week ridiculously cold here in Miami, I'm actually getting to wear them. We have a holiday party tomorrow evening and I plan to look totally chic with my boots and jeggings. . .if I can just figure out what to wear on top. I'll bet I'm the only octagenarian at the event sporting such avant garde fashion. Naomi Campbell, eat your heart out.

As a parting thought I have to share with you something I tore out of a magazine recently. . it's a quote by someone named Diane Ackerman, I have no idea who she is. . but it really struck a chord with my take on life and maybe explains the jeggings. It goes this way. . . "I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width as well."

To that I say "Amen".

No comments:

Post a Comment