Monday, December 6, 2010

Monkey business. . .that's art, folks!!





Miami's been awash in art this past week with the annual arrival of the international Art Basel and all it's attendant creative excitement. Basically, everyone is doing something art-y and that goes for Fairchild Botanical Gardens where the newest art installation is a group of sculptures by Les Lalannes. . .Claude & Francois Xavier LaLanne, to be exact. (Actually, I never heard of them either, so don't feel bad, even though they are apparently very famous.)

When Benard did his Friday morning tram tours of the Garden this week, I went along to see the installation and also practice up on my own tour. As soon as I get up the courage to take my "test". . .show off my tour to Julie, the lady in charge of tram tour guides. . .I'll be doing my own one of these days. Benard drives the 72-passenger tram and talks at the same time. . .I am not such a multi-tasker. . .If I have to drive and talk, there's a good chance I would kill people as well as plants along the way. For that reason, I have had the good sense to only sign up to talk. I'm no fool.

Anyway, the Les Lalannes' sculptures are very whimsical and absolutely delightful. They range from Francois-Xavier's "Very Big Thoughtful Monkey" whose lap I am casually sitting on in the photo, to Claude's famous "Very Large Cabbage With Chicken Legs". This one is an enlarged replica of her famous original 1964 sculpture where she metalicized a real cabbage and was the talk of the art world. I swear I'm not making this up.

There are also two herds of wonderful LaLanne sheep in various areas of the garden, moutons, for all you Francophiles. That's Benard with "Wapiti" or stag in English. All in all, it's a delightful installation and you can't help but smille as you come upon each one. Fairchild's decision to feature "art in the garden" has been wonderfully successful. It all started with an installation of glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly two years ago. . .since then we've had a succession of artists. . .the last one was a famous Japanese lady sculptor who lived in a mental institution and was obscessed with polka dots. . .not our favorite. As tram guides, we get to talk all about them. But this new installation is a winner and I strongly suggest you visit the Garden if you are in Miami.

By the way, in January, Yoko Ono is coming to the Garden to install her "Wishing Tree" in one of our ficus trees. She's apparently done this in many places around the world. When you visit you can make out your wish and hang it on the tree. . periodically the wishes are gathered up and all stored together in a kind of rocket up in Alaska. But of course. I would expect nothing less from John Lennon's widow.

You gotta admit, Fairchild is not your grandma's style of garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment