Sunday, January 2, 2011

I have a word for you. . .


The "significant other" and I were watching the debacle known as the Sun Bowl when he noted that I was spending more time staring at my cell phone than watching Notre Dame decimate our University of Miami Hurricanes.

"What are you staring at?" he asked, a bit petulantly. "I'm playing Scrabble," I had to admit. "That sound you just heard was my cell telling me one of the unknown people I am play against just added a word."

I blame this new addiction on my friend Merele who introduced me to playing the word game on my cell. Unfortunately, I can't (so far) play with her, because she has a sophisticated iPhone and I am playing on a lowly Sprint Hero. Her version of the game is not one of the apps on my phone, so I play something called WordFeud with three or four strangers at a time.

Currently, I am playing against Townee, Alanda and Angelswhisper. Townee is killing me at 324 to 265, and I am destroying Angelswhisper with my latest entry of the word YONDER which conveniently covered triple letter and double word spaces and gave me 45points! (See photo above.) Wow! What a way to start the New Year. (Alanda takes ages to respond so I've just about given up on her/him.)

I always wondered what kids and young adults were staring at when you would see them peering at thir cell phones. I figured they were texting or tweeting. I didn't realize a lot of them were playing games. I'm not sure how many octogenarians are downloading apps to their cell phones, but I have to admit I also play Solitaire on a regular basis and just this morning discovered an app for Blackjack. There's no question. I'm hooked.

Anyone out there with WordFeud on their cells, I'd love to play with you. Words are my business and I warn you, I'm a tough opponent and I'm here to play. Anyone?????

No comments:

Post a Comment