Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Extra crispy, anyone?????


I had lunch today with the King of BOGOs. For you uninitiated, that stands for Buy One, Get One Free.

The significant other is constitutionally unable to pass up a BOGO. As a result, there are often some very odd two-by-two products in his pantry. Today, after spending the morning together stuffing envelopes at WLRN, he invited me to lunch. Brandishing a coupon he received in the mail, we headed off for an elegant repast at a KFC in a not-so-elegant area of Coral Gables. Just as an aside, Benard drives a 2010 Jaguar. Needless to say, we stood out like a sore thumb in the parking lot, surrounded by pick-up trucks and motorcycles.

Undeterred,we marched up to the counter. Benard produced his BOGO coupon and did the ordering. "Two $5 Everyday Meals, please. Dark meat only. One Extra Crunchy. One Grilled."

I have to admit it was delicious. The meal comes in a topless box, minimum silverware, everyone tears the chicken apart with their hands apparently, and includes a biscuit and plastic container of really good cole slaw. (I ate that with a plastic fork, not my hands, thankyou.) Although I opted for the less caloric grilled chicken, I got one bite of the deliciously decadent extra crispy coating on Benard's meal. It took me back a few decades to when a fast run into the Kentucky Fried Chicken near our house was a regular stop on my way home from the office after a busy work day. I opted for the Family Meals in those days. That was before it became politically incorrect to have Fried in the restaurant's name.

The day's surprises were not over! I returned home to a phone call informing me that I am a "potential finalist" in Fancy Feast's "Tastemakers Contest". Hopefully, you all remember my blog about creating a recipe called "Purrrfect Sushi" as my entry into the cat food contest that I saw on line.

Well, get ready, guys. Public voting starts July 11th and we are going to need your help. You will be receiving a personal plea from Wasabi and Ginger with info on voting. They're the ones who get to eat the spoils if we win, so it's only right that they do the begging.

No comments:

Post a Comment