Thursday, September 8, 2011

"A" is for alligator. . . .


It's been several decades since I read a Dr. Seuss book to a small child. The last time was to my grandson Adam, who shortly will be reading one to his own son, my great grandson Grayson.

I got to read the venerable Dr.'s "ABC Book" this morning,to 12 pre-K kids, and believe me, it's an interesting experience. My friend Sheila and I answered United Way's call for volunteers in their pilot "Love To Read" literacy program for pre-schoolers. The idea is to prepare four year olds to love reading prior to entering kindergarten. Believe me, it's a challenge, but a very worthwhile one.

Sheila and I show up every Thursday morning at the Coral Gables Congregational Church's pre-school. The kids, many of them dropped off by working moms, are all out on the playground. When we arrive they enter the classroom for a half hour of reading before lunch. The kids sit on the floor in front of us as we read. (That's Miss Sheila reading to her group this morning in a photo taken with my cell phone.In kid talk,I'm Miss Joan.))

The idea is not to just read but to interact with the youngsters in a positive manner. Not as easy as it sounds. Try keeping the attention of a bunch of four year olds some time. My method this morning was to make each kid "own" the letter of the alphabet that matched his or her name. . we have three "As" (Alex, Alessandra and Alli) and two "Rs", (Robbie & Robert) but not a lot of Qs, Us and Vs. Not surprisingly, since most of the kids are Hispanic, they all have someone in the family whose name starts with X, and anxious to tell me about it.

I'm trying hard ot remember everyone's name in my group. . .Frankie, Alex,Alli and the two Rs, talk up a storm. . it's hard to shut them up. Sophia, Judi-Jo and Mia are the "girlie girlie" group. . . .and Jacob and Michael are the quiet ones that have to be drawn into the conversation.

When you've got their attention, it's very rewarding. That's Sheila's and my post-morning assessment after our second week on the job. United Way is taking the program nationwide if it works well in Miami. They are hoping to have a million readers, so if it shows up in your city, I urge you to volunteer. One look at those excited little faces and I promise you, you'll find it rewarding as well.

Dr. Seus, by the way, is still a good read. I recommend it, as well.


# # #



No comments:

Post a Comment