Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Mom's writing gene. . the gift that keeps on giving.


I find myself writing about some strange subjects these days in my "semi-retirement" role as a freelance writer. Would-be clients find me on my website, www.joanspector.com, or on something called Thumbtack.com that I apparently signed up for one day and forgot all about.

As a result, I end up researching or using my imagination about businesses and subjects that I never heard of, or at the very least, know absolutely nothing about.

Example: I just completed writing a website for a company that paints commercial and corporate airplanes. Who knew that was such a world-wide business? And I bet you don't know the industry term for the designs you see on the outside of the next plane you fly on. I certainly didn't, but God bless Google! What would we do without it! I had to write one whole web page on the company's ability to do outstanding "LIVERY". It took a quick visit to Google to learn all about the use of that esoteric term when describing the overall paint design of an airplane.

Here's my new favorite. . a 30-something young man, with a wife and two children, in need of a "personal statement" for his application to law school. I interviewed him over the phone and came to understand how important these 500 words could be for his future. I'm sure he will pardon me for allowing you to read the first graph of what I wrote.

As a 14 year old in May of 1994, I, along with three members of my immediate family and seven others, found ourselves clinging to a capsized raft in the choppy waters of the Caribbean, somewhere between the coast of Cuba and the tip of South Florida. Rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard, we were taken to Guantanamo Naval Base where we lived for six months before making our way finally to the United States in January of 1995..

I made him promise to let me know when the law school accepts him.
# # #
# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment