Saturday, June 29, 2013

Have you ever done "The Wave"????

I was straightening the top shelf of my linen closet this morning when I came across incontrovertible evidence that I am a sports fan.

Why my linen closet, you ask?  Because Miami teams. . .I'm talking Heat, Dolphins, Marlins and the long gone Panthers. . .  all seem to resort to colorful towels of various sizes when things are going well.  Especially during playoffs.

In addition to the Heat "wavers" in the photo below, one of which dates back to a 1997 semi-final game against the Knicks where I believe we got beaten, and the '98 Playoffs when we won.  I have two giant beach towels, one for the Dolphins and one for the Marlins (that was prior to the recent arena bruhaha) and a true relic from the one time the Panthers played in the Stanley Cup in 1996 against the Philadelphia Flyers. Yes, I threw rats on the ice at that one.

My season ticket days to all of these teams are also long gone, preferring to watch on the flat screen TV from the comfort of my bedroom, but the wealth of tiny towels on that top shelf brought back a wealth of sports memories.  Grandson Adam was my companion of choice for Dolphin games until he left for college.  The "significant other" learned to be a fan of all of the above teams once we became a couple some 18 1/2 years ago and went to all the games together.

Gee, how come I have nothing for the University of Miami in my closet??  I certainly sat in the old Orange Bowl for enough games starting back in 1957 when I arrived in Miami.  I think I have a tee shirt somewhere that commemorates those memories. 

I'll take a photo of it for you as soon as I find it.  Wave if you have one also.
#   #   #   #



No comments:

Post a Comment