Thursday, August 1, 2013

Surfing the radio waves. . .

Tuesday mornings at WLRN Public Radio always make me smile.

To start with, when I arrive promptly at 8am I am greeted in the entrance lobby by a larger-than-life cardboard cutout of Big Bird.  I have no idea why he's there but he does brighten the morning. (See photo for how big Bird really is!)

Next I climb the stairs to the second floor sound studio where I will spend the next two hours cutting, editing and reading the day's Miami Herald to the visually impaired.. On my way, I pass the open door to Joseph Cooper's office.  WLRN followers know Joseph as the station's premiere on-air interviewer of all sorts of celebrities and interesting people.  This morning as I pass his door, I hear Joe's phone ring.  The familiar baritone voice answers thusly: "Bates Motel.  Norman speaking."   This time I burst out laughing.  Can't imagine what the person on the other end of the line had to say to that opening.

Once upstairs, I enter my studio and settle in with my scissors and newspapers along with my special reading partner, Marianne.  Within a minute or two I know I will be warmly greeted by one of the stations most loved staff members.  This one has four feet and lots of white fur and goes by the name of Daisy.  She will lavish me with kisses and tail wags until her human, Wanda Stiles, shows up, and they both move on to the day's business. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Daisy has her own talk show. She certainly knows her way around the station.

Are you getting the feeling this is a most unusual work place?  After some three years of volunteering here I've gotten to know many of the regular staffers and on-air personalities.  I actually play "Words With Friends" on my iPhone with Mario, the head of Radio Reading Services.  He's a tough competitor.  WLRN's building is in downtown Miami.  It's an interesting millieu that I would probably never have had the opportunity to get to know if the significant other hadn't been doing school tours through the station for many years and suggested I audition for the reading job.  (Yeah, I passed.  On the first try, too.)

I guess what I'm doing here is recommending volunteering as a meaningful way to spend retirement years and even before retirement if you can find the time..  Doesn't matter where or what you choose to do.  I find it very rewarding.  I think you will too.
#   #  #

No comments:

Post a Comment