Monday, September 23, 2013

A medical moment. . .

I have a need to talk about hospitals.  Because I've been spending a lot of time at one in particular the last ten days. That's because the "significant other" developed a nasty blood infection and is currently the resident of Room 414 at South Miami Hospital.

Mainly I want to talk about nurses and nurses aides.  They are truly remarkable human beings, both male and female, short and tall, old and young.  In Benard's world they come with names like Arlene. Althea, Amilcar, Zonaia, Jennifer, Laura, Jun and Nelda.  Jun is a young Philipino man who couldn't be more caring or helpful. Benard spent time in the Phillipines during WW2 and he and Jun have great conversations.  Nelda is Benard's absolute favorite, she calls him Papi and treats him as if he truly was a close relative.

Basically, I hate hospitals.  The farther away I can stay the better I like it.  But if you have to be in one, South Miami is about as good as it gets.  Each day I walk away wondering why someone chooses the nursing profession.  It's a hard, messy life with patients coming and going, either better or worse for the experience.  I am awed by their dedication.

Hopefully, Benard will be well enough soon to leave Room   514 and return to his normal lifestyle.  I won't miss traveling daily to the hospital to visit him and act as his surrogate.  But I will have new respect for the nurses who work there.
#   #   #
Photo caption:  A shout out to the wonderful Therapy Dogs who truly brighten a patient's day. This cutie's name was Alli and really made Benard smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment