Thursday, November 24, 2016

I love a parade. . .

I admit it.  I'm watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Always do.  The parade is celebrating its 90th year and I remember by Mother and Dad taking my sister Fran and I to New York City, when we were little kids, to watch the parade. It was a really big deal for us then.

Thanksgiving in those days was in Mt. Vernon, New York, where Fran and I grew up.  There was no such thing as the "extended families" we have today, where my daughter is in Charlotte, North Carolina, my grandson and his family are in Jacksonville, Florida, and I'm here in Miami.  Our whole family lived in the Mt. Vernon area and everyone came to Thanksgiving dinner, whether it was at our house or one of the aunts and uncles.  It was family time.

Standing in for my kids today will be my sister Fran's family up in Fort Lauderdale.  My niece Vicki knows better than to ask Aunt Joan to cook something, so I've been charged with bringing cupcakes.  I spent a lot of time picking them out.  I don't want Fran's grandkids and great-grand daughter to think badly of me.  I always remember once asking my grandson Adam when he was a teen-ager whether it bothered him that his grandmother didn't bake cookies.  His reply?  "Hell, no.  You have great seats for the Dolphins, the Miami Heat and the Florida Panthers.  I can buy cookies."

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. . .make it a wonderful day!  My thanks for sticking with me and my blog for so many years.
#   #   #
Ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment