Monday, December 19, 2011

I'm in love. . .


I got kissed by a giraffe this week.

His name is Fezzit, and he has a foot long dark purple tongue that he whips out and curls back up. In all honesty, I think he was more interested in the bowl full of greens I was holding out to him than in a long term relationship with me. But I was instantly in love.

My friend Alice is in town for the annual Doral/Publix "First Tee Golf Tournament" benefitting disadvantaged kids. . I help her work the tournament's pro shop selling shirts and stuff to the youngsters from 47 countries who actually play in the tournament. On Friday, before play began, we played hookey and spent the day at ZooMiami, courtesy of another friend, Diane, who is a long time docent at that truly incredible place. If you're a Miamian, and haven't visited the place formerly known as Metro Zoo for some time, you are in for a treat when you return.

I have fond memories of Sunday visits to the Bronx Zoo as a little girl with my Dad and my sister. In those days, animals were in cages, behind strong iron bars. Today, that practice is long since forbidden. The animals at ZooMiami roam free in areas that resemble their native habitats, and visitors are separated by deep moats, or in the case of the adorable river otters, by glass walls.

I am an animal lover so the day was a delicious treat, especially with Diane driving us around in a golf cart and favoring us with a personal tour. Her back-of-the-house knowledge of all the animals is priceless, not to mention that she knows them all by name.

Getting to feed Fezzit was an extra plus. I was a giddy as a little kid. Take a look at the accompanying photo if you think I'm kidding.
# # #



No comments:

Post a Comment