Thursday, December 8, 2011

My early Christmas present. . . .


This morning was our last reading session for the year in United Way's pilot program, "Reading for Literacy". The four year olds in my pre-K class will be presenting their Christmas pageant next Thursday morning, so today, after reading about a hyperactive mouse who did something creative for every letter of the alphabet, it was time to say goodbye.

That's when the teacher, Miss Anita, announced that the children had made a gift for me. Can't remember the last time I was so touched. This is turning out to be a great holiday for me. The "significant other" bought me a Kindle Touch 3G for Channukah, and now a handmade gift from these kids I have grown to love.

Little Pablo, who always has an answer for every question I ask the kids as I read, even before I finish asking it, personally painted the Christmas tree on the poster. Miss Anita made sure to tell me that. And each of the kids signed their names on individual pieces of red paper that were then glued on the green background. .the two Sophias,Charlotte, Mia, Pablo, Dimitra, Roberto, Robbie, Alec, Allie, Zoe, Daniel and Jacob. Their names are engraved in my memory. Up in the left hand corner is printed a big Thank you. I may have to frame it, it is so adorable.

Sheila and I have really enjoyed volunteering for this pilot reading program. We're hoping United Way will call on us to read to another pre-K group in the coming year. Don't want to waste my new found ability to read a book upside down so that the kids can see the pictures and interact with the story line.

In truth, I think I learned as much as the kids did from the program. I never had any desire to be a teacher when I thought about a career years ago, but I have a new appreciation for both the importance and the non-financial rewards that they experience from the work they do.

In case I don't get to write again, Happy Holidays to you all. .

# # #

1 comment:

  1. Nice piece for the Christmas/Chanukah season Aunt Joan. I love your work, both what you do and when you write about it. Love, Bobby

    ReplyDelete