Friday, November 23, 2012

Some things are more important than others. . .

My favorite reading partner at WLRN public radio on Tuesday mornings had a serious problem to discuss with me this week. We have a full hour to prepare for our on-air time, and during the past  couple of months we've discussed the state of the election, the state of the union, and the state of our kids.  But today was more serious business.

Marianne needs to decide on a name for her new puppy.

You have to be an animal person to understand the importance of this weighty decision.  Her family is currently holding a voting poll on the subject, with the daughter in Washington, DC standing firm for one name, son in NYC lobbying for another, and husband opting for a third.  The new puppy is a two week old red poodle and won't be arriving at the family home until early December, but Marianne is determined that the name have something to do with "red".  . . her latest entry into the race is "Huck", as in Huck Finn who actually, according to Google, had reddish hair.

The whole subject of animal names fascinates me.  Our first dog when I was a kid was named Frisky. . don't think that would play today where my current friends' dogs are named Henry, Lola, Lolita and Jake.  My daughter has a friend who named her rescue dog Vitruvius.  What can I tell you.

Our first cat was named Zeus because he came from Athens. . .Georgia, not Greece.  Zeus was an elegant bluepoint Siamese, so when we adopted a forlorn little rescue tabby with no fancy credentials, we named him Percy Pureblood.  I tried to enter Percy into a local Cat Talent Show once as "G. Gordon Kitty, Paper Shredder". (It was during the Watergate bruhaha for you who are old enough to remember.).

As most of you know, Ginger and Wasabi run the show around my house and J.W. Rosenblatt holds sway at the significant other's apartment. You'll find Jake and Zoey at Andrea's house. How they got their names is a whole other story.

I'll read again with Marianne on Tuesday morning and find out who won the poll.  I'm not betting on Huck, but you never know.
#   #   #
Photo caption:  Waiting to be named. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment