Friday, January 17, 2014

An amazing morning. . . .

I spent yesterday morning observing Miami Lighthouse for the Blind's SGA program for seniors. It was amazing. They call this an Arts & Crafts class, but the work they do, under the guidance of Program Coordinator Nelba Gonzalez, is truly "art,” in every sense of the word, with mature men and women, some totally blind, some with extremely limited sight, creating beautiful ceramics, elegant weavings and professional quality paintings.
 
Nelba has taught them to use their minds, their memory, and their sense of touch, to create beauty. Most importantly, the sense of pride they so obviously take from the work they are doing goes a long way towards restoring self respect and independence despite their visual disabilities.
 
The smiles, the laughter and the feeling of friendship amongst the group as they worked made a deep impression on me. The classroom has seating for 50 at long tables, with 150 in the program. Although everyone I spoke to wanted to attend class more often, they are limited to two or three sessions a week because of the real need for additional funds to enlarge this very important program.
 
I was actually at the Miami Lighthouse because its CEO, Virginia Jacko, my friend and neighbor, had asked me to interview some of their senior clients for a funding project they were submitting. I've volunteered with youngsters here in the past, but this was the first time I spent any time observing seniors in a class.  I interviewed four different people, two men and two women, ranging in age from 81 to 53, and although each said it slightly differently, they each were emotional and anxious to tell me how much coming to the Lighthouse meant to them.  As one woman said it succinthly, "This was my lifesaver." 
 
I really wasn't there to take photos but I had to whip out my iphone and take a few.  That's Hulda Lange "weaving a purse" as she very proudly showed me, and Nelba holding up a completed handbag done by another senior student. Each of the items in the framed ceramic was created by a different student and it truly was remarkable. 
#   #   #
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment