Sunday, January 19, 2014

Art + Arepa = Delicioso

Only at outdoor art shows do I give in to my addiction.  This weekend was the Annual Beaux Arts Festival on the University of Miami campus.  The art was truly outstanding but the arepas. . oy!  I just can't pass them up.  I wonder if there is such a thing as Arepas Anonymous that I might attend.

The arepa, for you uninitiated, consists of two flat corn cakes held together by gooey slab of some kind of very yellow cheese, all melted together into one delicious mess on an oily grill that probably hasn't been scoured since last year's festival.  I don't even want to think about the calory count.  I figure once a year I can afford to go hog wild.

Please don't think I didn't also appreciate the art.  But there is something wonderfully Miami about wandering from booth to booth, stopping to admire and chat with the various artists, all the while munching on my arepa.  By the way, if you're wondering why I am wearing a heavy hoodie sweatshirt, it was because we're having our version of a cold snap and the weather was in the low 60's.

I also had to snap the Jazz Combo playing under one of the
tents.  These kids were terrific and couldn't have been more
than nine or ten years old. The apples in the painting were
done with a palette knife and were fabulous.

When Beaux Arts comes around next year, I highly recommend it.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment